Mexico works to return to the levels of tourism growth prior to the pandemic
This was stated by the Federal Secretary of Tourism Miguel Torruco at the meeting "Economic reactivation, for safe tourism", organized by Concanaco Servytur in Cancun
The Secretary of Tourism of the Government of Mexico, Miguel Torruco Marqués, affirmed that the country is beginning a stage of gradual reopening of its tourist destinations, with the aim of returning to the growth levels that tourism activity had been showing before the pandemic of the Covid-19.
By participating this morning in the meeting "Economic reactivation, for safe tourism", convened in Cancun, Quintana Roo, by the Confederation of National Chambers of Commerce, Services and Tourism (Concanaco Servytur), chaired by José Manuel López Campos, the owner of the Ministry of Tourism (Sectur) recalled that in 2019 the World Economic Forum revealed in its Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report that Mexico's tourism sector continued to strengthen internationally by ascending three positions and placing itself in 19th place, entering for the first time in the global Top 20.
"We also managed to advance three places in average spending worldwide, going from position 40 to 37 in the ranking of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)," he said.
He argued that since the beginning of the pandemic, Sectur took actions to disseminate and promote tourist destinations, with the aim that they are always in the minds of potential tourists, especially from our main source markets.
He specified that this year, Mexico continues with this promotional work at the national and international level, through the Tianguis Turístico Digital, whose second edition was held in March; while the Tianguis de Pueblos Mágicos, which will be hybrid, will be held from October 28 to 31, in Pachuca, Hidalgo, its biannual permanent headquarters.
He also highlighted that the 45th edition of the Tianguis Turístico, the most important event in Mexico and Latin America in terms of tourism, will take place in Mérida, Yucatán, from November 16 to 19.
Secretary Torruco Marqués added that strategic alliances have also been made with prestigious companies, such as Lucha Libre Triple A, Red Bull, México Desconocido, Nascar and La Carrera Panamericana, which seeks to disseminate and promote tourism heritage, but always under the stricter bio-sanitary measures and in coordination with the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare, and the state governments.
He stated that, at the international level, he will return to the "Operación Touca Puertas" program, visiting Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Houston and San Antonio, cities that together represented forty percent of the total number of tourists from the United States who arrived in Mexico by airway in 2019.
Likewise, it will participate in the most important international tourist fairs, such as World Travel Market, in London; IMEX, in Las Vegas; and IBTM, in Barcelona.
As an extension of this effort, he indicated that Mexico is also working on reactivation, in coordination with the countries of the American continent, through the Inter-American Tourism Commission (Citur) of the Organization of American States (OAS), which currently presides .
"This important space has been key for the exchange of ideas between the countries of the Americas on the subject of the safe reactivation of the mobility of international travelers in the continent and the recovery of their confidence," he said.
Finally, he stressed that he will continue working so that Mexico, as a destination, can resume the path it has trodden and consolidate itself as a highly competitive country and a global tourist power. "For this purpose, the collaboration of the private sector will be essential, because together we will do more," he said.
Also participating in this meeting were María Elena Lezama Espinosa, municipal president of Benito Juárez; Marisol Vanegas Pérez, Secretary of Tourism of Quintana Roo; Jaime Manuel Carrillo Figueroa, president of Canaco Servytur Cancún; Manuel Rodríguez Villamil, General Secretary of Concanaco Servytur; Roberto Zapata Llabrés, Vice President of Tourism and Cultural Heritage of Concanaco Servytur; José Chapur Zahoul, president of Grupo Palace Resorts; Mauricio Hernández Ávila, director of Economic and Social Benefits of the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS); and Raúl Bermúdez Arreola, Territorial Link Cancun-Tulum of the National Fund for the Promotion of Tourism (Fonatur); as well as the general director of Fonatur, Rogelio Jiménez Pons, who sent a videotaped message.