Meliá shows confidence in FITUR for recovery

1024 576
Meliá shows confidence in FITUR for recovery
Gabriel Escarrer
Source: Meliá
January 19, 2022

The Chief Executive Officer Gabriel Escarrer today conveyed a clear message of optimism about the recovery of tourism 

Meliá Hotels International, the leading hotel chain in Spain, is participating as of today in the Madrid Tourism Fair (Fitur), where its CEO, Gabriel Escarrer, today conveyed a clear message of optimism about the tourism recovery that will take place throughout this year. Despite a first quarter punished by the wake of Ómicron, the company maintains confidence in the rest of the course, especially in vacation destinations, which could re-establish the average income per room (RevPar) levels of 2019 this summer, while urban hotels still maintain a lower rate of recovery.
"Our greater focus on the vacation segment - which represents 61% of the company's portfolio - will benefit us in this stage of recovery, in the same way as our great progress in digitization," Escarrer pointed out. The digital transformation allowed the group to concentrate more than 50% of total sales in 2021 on its own channel, in addition to increasing the average rate compared to 2019 by up to 15% in premium hotels and reducing intermediation costs. The greater focus on sustainability (reinforcing the commitment to hotel decarbonization), human capital or the group's financial management were other factors pointed out by Escarrer as the company's response to the opportunities of the post-Covid scenario,
In this regard, Escarrer presented the company's major innovations for 2022:
For the first time, the all-inclusive luxury brand Paradisus by Meliá – until now only present in the Caribbean – arrives in Spain this year through Paradisus Gran Canaria and Paradisus Salinas Lanzarote, which will be the result of the total transformation of Meliá Tamarindos and Meliá Salinas, respectively. Likewise, the company will also launch a large resort that will raise the brand's standards to the maximum in the Mexican Caribbean with Paradisus Playa Mujeres.
The luxury brand Gran Meliá will incorporate a new member into the family with the opening of an extraordinary hotel in Menorca, the first five-star hotel on the island. Designed by the architect Álvaro Sans, it will be the first hotel without a carbon footprint, one of the company's most ambitious goals in its race to decarbonise hotel activity. This project (which consists of the comprehensive reform of the current Sol Beach House Menorca, in Santo Tomás), aims to achieve total decarbonisation by reducing 87% of current CO2 emissions, while the remaining 13% will be offset by contracting of renewable energy sources.
Escarrer also recalled at Fitur the recent launch of The Meliá Collection brand, a selection of independent and unique luxury hotels that the company has created to meet the growing demand for premium hotels that enhance local experiences and the authenticity of the destination. Among them, hotels such as Hacienda del Conde (Tenerife), Villa Marquis (Paris) or Serengeti Lodge (Tanzania), are an example of Meliá's firm commitment to position itself in the luxury segment.
On the other hand, expansion will continue to be another strength of the company. If in 2021 – and despite the pandemic – Meliá managed to sign 21 establishments and open 13 hotels (including some as emblematic as the ME Barcelona), in 2022 it will continue its growth and more than a dozen new projects will see the light, such as the one already mentioned Paradisus Playa Mujeres (Mexico), as well as the Gran Meliá Zhengzhou (its seventh hotel in China), the Gran Meliá Nha Trang (Vietnam), the Meliá Chiang Mai (Thailand), the Meliá Trinidad Península (Cuba), the Sol Marina and the Blue Sea Beach Affiliated by Meliá (both in Crete, Greece), or the Hotel Las Arenas Affiliated by Meliá (Benalmádena, Spain) among others. "All of them - said Escarrer - reinforce our leadership in the vacation and bleisure segment, in the company's key areas of expansion.


Did you like the news? Share it!

to continue reading ...