According to a new report, people are ready and more eager to travel than ever before
The 2022 Global Travel Trends Report released today by American Express reveals very positive results for the industry
American Express (NYSE:AXP) today released 2022 Global Travel Trends Report, showing that people expect more travel than last year and plan to spend about the same on travel in 2022 compared to a year before. to the typical pandemic. The report, based on data from the United States, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Japan, India and the United Kingdom, reveals that consumers travel to see the people and places they love, celebrate important life events, embark on trips from the bucket list, experience in-person events, and seek greater wellness and self-care. In the fourth quarter of 2021, global cardholder bookings made through American Express Travel increased 24% compared to 2019 and have continued to strengthen in 2022.
"The pandemic has made all of us, including travelers, take stock of what's really important," said Audrey Hendley, president of American Express Travel. “The Global Travel Trends Report shows that tourists are making up for lost time and thinking about who they travel with, the places they visit, the brands they support and how they spend their money as the travel industry advances.”
- The world is ready to travel: 74% of respondents agree that they are willing to book a trip for 2022, even if they have to cancel or change it later.
- Travel spending is surpassing pre-pandemic levels – 86% of consumers expect to spend as much or more on travel in 2022 compared to a year before the pandemic.
- Tourists want to travel more frequently: 62% of those surveyed plan to make 2-4 trips in 2022 and 76% of those surveyed agree that they plan to travel more with the family in 2022 than in 2021.
- Tourists are looking for brands that prioritize supporting local communities: 81% of respondents want to visit destinations where they can immerse themselves in the local culture and want the money they spend while traveling to go back to the local community.
- Dream destinations are becoming reality: 55% of respondents want to book a unique vacation this year; especially true for Millennials (67%) and Gen Z (65%).
- As entertainment returns, so does in-person travel: 56% of respondents said they did not travel to major entertainment events last year, but plan to return to such events this year .