IMG Report reveals international travel this year will exceed 2019 levels
International Medical Group, a global insurance benefits and assistance services company, has published the results of its Travel Outlook Survey
Survey results reveal that 96% of respondents plan to travel internationally in 2022, an 11% increase from pre-pandemic travel levels.
"It's clear that people are more comfortable traveling abroad and are ready to take on the international travel they've had to delay for the last two years," said IMG chief commercial officer Amanda Winkle. "At IMG, we are well positioned to meet this growing demand for international travel with industry-leading insurance products that protect travelers from the unexpected."
Travel Insights Survey Findings:
Travelers feel more comfortable traveling abroad in 2022 than in 2021
- 59% of respondents feel more comfortable traveling internationally in 2022
- 32% feel as comfortable traveling internationally as in 2021
- 71% of respondents plan to travel internationally before October 2022
- In 2021, 49% of respondents planned to travel internationally before October
Whether abroad or at home, travelers are set to take multiple trips throughout 2022
- 38% of respondents plan to travel internationally more than 3 times in 2022
- 141% increase compared to 2021
- Of domestic travelers, 52% plan to travel domestically more than 3 times in 2022
- 18% increase compared to 2021
Travelers want to protect themselves and their travel expenses while traveling in 2022
- 53% of respondents are more likely to purchase a travel protection/medical plan due to the risks, concerns and impacts of COVID-19
- 43% are just as likely to buy a plan as they were before the start of the pandemic.
- Benefits that travelers consider most important in an insurance plan before traveling:
- #1 Health Insurance Benefits
- #2 Trip Cancellation/Interruption Benefits
- #3 CFAR/IFAR Benefits
"COVID-19 has focused everyone's mind on travel safety and health and the fact that they can get sick or injured while traveling or before they plan to travel, resulting in the need to cancel their trip," he said. IMG Medical Director Dr. Geoff Tothill. "Travel is still a pleasure, but many people now understand that when they travel, they really need to be properly protected with the right insurance coverage."
While travelers are ready to get out and see the world, the top 5 countries respondents plan to travel to include:
"After being stuck at home for the past several years, we're seeing people take more extravagant or once-in-a-lifetime trips as they return to traveling internationally," said IMG Chairman and CEO Steve Paraboschi. "As people invest more in their travel, they want strong insurance policies to protect all aspects of their trip, and IMG is here to provide such health and travel security solutions."